Honey Glazed Pecan Chocolate Tart
Pecans are an American nut, and such a luxury item in Europe that I had never tasted one until I came to the United States. A pecan pie seemed like it would be amazing but I found the usual version cloyingly sweet and lacking the sophistication this fabulous ingredient deserves, so I created this dessert.
A side of whipped cream is optional.
Brown Butter Pecan Shortbread Crust
(This recipe also makes great shortbread cookies)
- 1 cup pecans, toasted
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
- 2 cups pastry flour or gluten-free flour mix
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grind the pecans in a food processor until coarse meal forms.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook until dark amber, stirring often, about 6 minutes (do not burn). Pour through fine strainer into small bowl. Chill just until firm, about 1 hour.
- Stir the flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the brown butter, 1/2 cup butter, and the sugar until creamy.
- Add the vanilla and the ground pecans.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed just to blend.
- Press dough into a tart shell and chill for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake until golden brown and firm to touch, about 40 minutes.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
Very simple. Use top quality ingredients for good results.
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Place the chocolate, cream and butter together in a bowl on top of a pan of steaming water (double boiler). Melt and stir until smooth.
- Pour into baked tart shell and allow to cool.
Pecan and honey topping
- 2 cups toasted pecan halves
- ½ cup orange blossom honey
- 2 Tbs. Cointreau
- Warm the honey and Cointreau together over gentle heat until the honey is runny.
- Arrange the pecans on the chocolate ganache.
- Drizzle honey all over the pecans.