Cooking the beets slowly in a small amount of flavorful liquid is a way to concentrate their sweetness while gently infusing them with flavorful notes. Confit beets are delicious added to salads, on sandwiches, or layered with fresh chevre and a chilled Navel orange slice as in the photo. .
Ingredients – Serves 4 to 6
- 1 bunch red beets, evenly sized (4 medium sized beets)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup orange blossom honey
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- Wash and trim the beets. Reserve the greens for Beet Greens in Agrodolce.
- Peel the beets and cut them into 1/3” thick slices.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the olive oil, honey and orange juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sliced beets to the saucepan, toss to coat evenly, and cover with a lid.
- Bring to a simmer, and gently cook the beets until tender, about 25 minutes.